Tuesday, June 30, 2009

This should be interesting . . .


How this plays out is yet to be seen, but the ex - I'll come up with something appropriate to call her in these posts at some point - has moved back to town. That in and of itself is no big deal and was expected. The unusual part is that she's moved a mere 1,000 feet from me (if I walk across the green belt outside my place.)

From a purely practical standpoint, it would seem this would certainly make things easier for K, as she can walk to mom's from dad's. Last minute childcare issues can be more easily resolved, etc.

But beyond that, this seems rife with potentially bad outcomes. With proximity, the boundaries - both physical and abstract - will most likely be harder to maintain. When K is here, as she will most often be, will we be subject to too many calls, drive bys, attempted drop ins, and questions as to our goings on every time we're seen heading out the door? What happens when K is with her mom and I'm spotted with a date? For now, this is hypothetical and assumes a) there is a woman to date and b) she lets me bring her to the house. But still . . .

She's already crossed the line with me, via text, even after being told several times our "relationship" is limited to things pertaining to our daughter. "Let's meet out in the sprinklers" or "wanna go swimming?" Messages like that mere hours after me stating in no uncertain terms I didn't want to be around her. And that's while K is at camp. What happens when she comes home?

It just adds an interesting element to this whole arrangement, and I wonder how many other divorced parents live close by their exes. Or should I start house hunting?

No comments:

Post a Comment